Myself and Ryan Brolliar are excited to host a fun Holiday Tacky Sweater Party at Moondoggies Pacific Beach on December 6, 2013, from 5 to 8 pm. (Address & Phone below) Proceeds will go to my fundraising for The 2013 Jingle Bell Run/Walk 5k for Arthritis.
Link to Facebook Event by clicking the picture or HERE.
Ryan, better known in PB as Rollie, plays piano, harmonica, and guitar, and sings his heart out, and loves entertaining kids, so feel free to bring your little ones! We have a bunch of gift cards to giveaway and there will be drink and food specials as well!
Proceeds will go to my fundraising for The 2013 Jingle Bell Run/Walk 5k for Arthritis. My sister, Malerie, started this fund for me even though she lives in Arizona (love ya, sis!). If you sign up for the 5k, find me at the Cheer Tent! I’m in charge of making sure you get a nice cold beer courtesy of Stone Brewing Co. when you finish!
All of this benefits The Arthritis Foundation – an organization that is super important to me! Long story short, here is why:
– I was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis at age two. The docs thought I had a broken ankle, put it in a cast, and the rest of my body swelled. After a few days in the hospital and countless bloodwork, the diagnosis came.
– Over 300,000 kids in the United States ALONE have Arthritis or another related disease – including Psoriasis, Lupus, and Dermatomyocitis, to name a few.
– Some of these kids don’t have Physicians that are Specialists in Rheumatology, so they have to travel hours and sometimes stay overnight just to see their doc.
– I control most of my symptoms with diet, lifestyle, and mindfulness. Most. The rest is out of my control.
– My bloodwork will tell you that I probably have Lupus (SLE). Not quite sure about that one, either, but it’s pretty likely. I also have Sjogren’s Syndrome.
– “Aren’t you too young for Arthritis?” is the most commonly asked question in my life. The answer is “no.” Degenerative Arthritis happens after years of wear and tear on your joints – especially people who are very active. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a systemic and chronic illness that affects muscles, joints, bones, and other organs.
– I have spent 20 out of the 28 years of my life on medication for RA and for the side effects of those meds. This includes but is definitely not limited to Prednisone, Methotrexate, Naproxen, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Enbrel, Orencea, & Remicade.
– Currently, I’m only on two prescription meds. My liver enzymes have skyrocketed and we are trying to figure out what is causing it. Likely, it was the Methotrexate, but we really don’t know. My abdominal ultrasound came back textbook-perfect, which I was excited about, so the only thing left to do is a liver biopsy. I’m not excited about this.
– Despite all of the above, I actually feel pretty lucky. I went through college and two years living in Atlanta symptom-free and in remission. That ended abruptly on Thanksgiving two years ago. Regardless, I ran my first Half Marathon in April 2012 and completed a two day 150-mile bike ride from Buellton (near Solvang) to Santa Monica in September.
I could go on with more info but I think this covers why this is so important to me! I greatly appreciate you sharing this info with your friends and hope to see you there! Leave a comment for me and let me know if you can make it (if you can’t, it’s OK, but let me know either way!)
Thank you all, and see you soon!
Moondoggies Pacific Beach
832 Garnet Avenue San Diego CA
Special thanks to the local businesses who donated gift cards for our opportunity drawings, with an extra special thanks to Moondoggies for allowing us to take over their patio, offering specials, and donating a gift card for any of the Eat. Drink. Sleep. restaurants!
and former NFL player and current Champion Bodybuilder, Robert Johnson, for donating two personal training sessions!